Sunday, September 29, 2013

Identity Crisis

I remember going to see Apollo 13 in the movie theater. So many scenes had Tom Hanks doing a voice over - and I felt myself thinking..."No wonder they didnt succeed, Forrest Gump is flying the space shuttle".



There was nothing on TV tonight, so I decided to try some of the new stuff I missed this week On Demand. I'd heard some great stuff about Trophy Wife, and since Bradley Whitford is just awesome, I thought I'd check it out. But, here's the thing....Josh is without Donna. In the scene where he cant get the easel opened. Would definitely not be happening if Donna was there.




Some characters are just so iconic, so memorable - when the actor takes on something new its hard to shake the identity of their previous role. It took me about a season and a half to stop thinking of Sarah Braverman on Parenthood as Lorelei Gilmore (although her scenes last week with Mae Whitman had all the charm of her scenes with Alexis Bledel back in the Gilmore Girls days).

When I was a kid and Highway to Heaven was a popular show I kept asking my parents what killed Mr. Ingalls and Mr. Edwards. I couldn't figure out how they had both become angels.

I feel for the actors. They need to work. As the old saying goes, when one door closes, another opens. So here they are trying to walk through a new door and make a go of it. And all I can think about it their previous success. Have you ever watched a show and had that happen to you?






No comments:

Post a Comment