Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Farewell, Ziva....

I'm just going to come out and say it - although I LOVE NCIS, I never loved Ziva David. I liked her a lot, but I did not love her.

Perhaps its because I always liked Sasha Alexander so much. I loved her on Dawson's Creek and I love her now on Rizzoli & Isles. When Kate died, I was heartbroken. I think Tony still is too...did you catch that his fish is named Kate? But I digress.



I liked Ziva and  I accepted her as a part of the team. I just never saw her with Tony. To me, it always felt a little forced. I wont compare Kate and Ziva, because that's not really fair, and I think I truly would have felt that way about Tony and Ziva even if Kate had never been on the show.




Ziva's story lines aside from Tony never really interested me. I just couldn't get in to the whole Mossad/bad father thing. I think the other characters on NCIS have far more compelling back story's, which also fit in more with the show's other stories.


When it was announced that Cote de Paulo was leaving the show over the summer I was very curious how it would play out, especially when closure was promised for all those who had waited so patiently for the Tony/Ziva relationship to take off in the direction of permanent. I immediately thought Witness Protection was in her future. I was wrong, but I also didn't love how they ended it.

It still felt forced to me - she loves Tony but she's still leaving. I get it, she thinks she needs to go so those she loves can be safe. But as the show closed, I mostly felt relief. I feel hopeful that the person who joins the team next won't just be dumped in as a new love interest for Tony. I hope she will be a well developed character who fits in with the team and brings more to the table in the humor department (because that's a part of what sets NCIS apart from every other procedural on TV). I also hope we can now get back to my favorite NCIS couple, Abby and McGhee. (BTW - Pauley Perrette also appeared on Dawson's Creek. Bonus to anyone who can say what role she played...)

No comments:

Post a Comment