I made a mistake today. I had heard on the radio that the song's from tomorrow night's Glee tribute to Cory Montheith were available on You Tube. I watched them. It was a big mistake. I have been dreading this episode since Cory passed away over the summer, and now the music confirms I will cry through the entire episode. If you haven't taken a listen, I won't give anything away - but I will say they are excellent choices and the performances are heart-wrenching. I cried and it was just the audio.
Glee has never been shy about confronting the tough subjects. How they plan to address Cory's death is still unknown, but I have faith in how they will write it in to the show. Since I woke up that Sunday morning to the news, it has broken my heart. Not only is a favorite character gone from a favorite show, I immediately thought of the cast. They will have had to grieve twice - once for Cory and again for Finn.
I don't want to get in to the issues surrounding Corey's death. Although I am glad that it seems Finn will not have the same cause of death as was previously discussed. Although that worked for other show's facing a lead actor's death - John Spencer's heart attack being the same thing to happen to Leo McGarry comes to mind. When John Ritter died of an undiagnosed heart condition, his character on 8 Simple Rules was killed in a car accident. I don't think this would have worked for Glee. Finn is beloved and his fans feel as though they know him personally. It would have seemed out of character for Finn, at least in my opinion.
It will be a tough hour to watch for so many. I might not be able to blog right after, but check back here in the next few days for my thoughts on the tribute.
No comments:
Post a Comment